Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Done Gone Crazy

Two posts in two days? Absolute insanity. Of course, the fact that it's been rainy and gross of late....meaning no outdoors time....helps. This, while kind of pretty in it's own way, has been the scene here for too long now.

(Looking up the driveway towards home)
Grey Days

I shouldn't complain (but I'm going to, because I can) since it's been one of the mildest winters that I can recall, temperature-wise, but.....it's still been grey. And more grey. And more grey.

I'm ready for sunshine.

We keep getting teased by a day here or there that is absolutely gorgeous...and then it's back to black. Like an Amy Winehouse song, minus the drugs and drink. Okay, sometimes with those as well. Whatever gets you through, ya know? (don't judge me)

Anyhoooooo...yeah. Bad weather means more time spent indoors and online...and more time staying busy in the studio!

See? Another new painting from yesterday!
Yesterday's piece

Things that help lighten my mid-winter bleghness? Care packages from overseas friends like http://dneese.blogspot.com/  full of kooky goodness. You know, care packages that contain things like vintage dolls from the early 1900's and cross-stitch patterns full of swear words and antique rectal dilators made of Bake-Lite!
Antique Rectal Dilators

Because, you know, no home is truly complete without a set of those. Trust me.

Other things that make the doldrums go away, or at least distract me from them, is our new outhouse. Or are future new outhouse, more accurately. We've got the ginormous hole dug for it....4ft down by 4ft by 4ft, through roots galore and rocks aplenty...we'll pour the concrete in a few days (once it stops raining) then it's time to start the construction.

We're going for wonky and askew.

Outhouse Inspiration

And yes, we have an outhouse....and yes, it's by choice. I won't go into the long ramble about why, but I'll just say we're doing more than our part for the environment. When I'm 80, I'll move to the flush-toilet....and flush it multiple times just to make up for years lost not flushing!

All right, that's enough of the insanity. Time to either grab my book or grab my paint brushes.

Ciao!

4 comments:

  1. LOVE your lane. Reminds me of our woods path. Some day I will get to visit, my friend!

    Thank you for injecting a bit of sunshine into my life. We have had an inordinate amount of grey this winter as well. But little to no snow so I'm okay with it.

    I'm curious why you didn't go w/a composting toilet? Maybe you could make your own! Kind of a win-win. No over use of water + useful byproduct.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to the day that you come visit, Jen! We've started discussing plans for restarting ArtLand, the week-long art "event" that we hosted for many years, so maybe for that!

    That's the trade-off, I think...no snow, very little in the way of *really* cold weather...but also very little sunshine!

    Technically, it *is* a composting toilet....it's just not connected to the house! (which has always struck me as the more sanitary option) And the compost only gets emptied every few years at most.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And what a lovely outdoor dunny it will be.

    Thunderbox.. etc I forget all the other words for it.

    ReplyDelete